So this is why people have kids

I’m actually kinda afraid to admit this, but I am starting to enjoy running hills.  Even I’m surprised by this.

I’ve been taking it easy on running for…no reason at all.  That little mini vacay has me loving the run so much now.  My focus is to run smart & ease back into it by keeping the mileage low with lots of strength training.  I find myself wanting to run further than I should, so I throw in a couple hills to feel the burn a little more during shorter runs.  Works like a charm.

I feel so alive when I’m pounding the pavement.  I can already see myself becoming a race bling hoarder in 2014!  If you can’t tell, I am really jazzed about setting goals for the new year!

There’s nothing like crushing hills + making dem legs shake in style.

IMG_0882

I am so LOVING the new Mizuno Wave Rider 17’s.  I’ll be doing a full review on them soon, but if you’re wondering my thoughts, go get your bad self a pair of these kicks.

<</end of SCB telling you how to live your life/>>

An awesome run calls for a Nuun slushy don’t cha think.

IMG_0888

Then I spent the afternoon snuggling with my little buddy, a  cup of coffee + the latest Runners World magazine.  Have you read it yet?  I feel so energized + ready to run after flipping through it.  I even Googled the Big Sur 10.6 run in April.  Anyone ever run it?

IMG_0892

Meanwhile back at the castle, the boy was busy doing boy stuff = smoking ribs.  I’ll have to get the recipe from grandma Jo for the Kansas City rub & BBQ sauce to head off a major meltdown when we run out.

Then I proclaimed my love of meat.  {TWSS}

IMG_0896

Our family has a thing for artichokes so we steamed them on the side.  It’s a good thing we live next to the artichoke capital.

IMG_0900

The aftermath.

IMG_0903

Now I am seeing why people have kids.  The Lu is a great dish monkey, trash monkey & cleaning monkey.  I kidd, she’s a lot like me – we both love to clean and she is SO helpful.  Smile

I was the laundry monkey.

IMG_0906

For new readers {hello!} Lu is Mike’s daughter.  Although I totally think she’s mine.  Even her mother agrees we are so much alike & swears if she didn’t have her, she’d think Lu’s mine.  No joke!  Smile

A couple years ago we had to relocate for Mike’s career, so she comes to hang with us on school breaks & summer vacation.  As you can tell, we adore that kid + she’s a ton of fun!

And just in case you need a little encouragement SCB style…

IMG_0869

You are welcome.

Do you have step children?

What motivates you to run?

Tell me 4 things you did yesterday {Sunday}!

10 thoughts on “So this is why people have kids

1. Ashley @ Broc Blog

I’m weirdly starting to love hills too! The other day I was on a run (in my hometown) and I ran passed a hill and considered doing some impromptu hill repeats but then some kids showed up and started sledding and I didn’t want to get run over. Seriously though random hill runs for no reason? Who am I?

2. Laura @ twinsontherun

That’s great that you have such an awesome relationship with Lu! I don’t have step kids but you are a great example of how it can be.
    I can’t wait til my kids are big enough to be helper monkeys! Right now they can put the silverware away from the dishwasher but that’s about it.

3. Amber S.

My motivation to run= The post-run high/sense of accomplishment/energy boost/health benefits and being able to eat even more frequently (I swear I eat all day long) throughout the day.

4. Cheri

I’m so glad you like your Wave Rider 17s – I work for Fleet Feet and we’ve recently introduced them into our lineup, but I’m trying to figure out why they changed them so drastically from the 16s. They removed that really nice rolly toe and widened the forefoot and the wave plate. Any guesses to why they might have overhauled them the way they did?

5. Nicole@thegirlwhoraneverywhere

I love hills too, and even hill repeats! They make me like a warrior!! ;) there is something so cool about getting to the top, turning around, and admiring your hard work.

I have one step kiddo, no kids of my own (yet). Her name is Aly and I adore her. we have her every weekend and I hate being away from her bc she is such a fun little nugget!

6. Laura @losingrace

I always laugh when you insert the little {TWSS]} moments. Nothing like a little comic relief!:)

My word those ribs look amazing! And I am super glad you are looking up races and such for 2014 I love seeing people looking ahead and making goals! You are going to be on fire next year with all of those hills you have been running.

A few things I did Sunday… Ran on TM at the gym, Sat in the steam room for a really long time, Grocery shopped, and finished a few books I have been reading!

7. Rhoda @3cheaprunners

What motivates me to run is new running gear and seeing other people run!
    So Sunday, lets see, that was soooo long ago!!!
    I had lunch at Mike and Michelle’s
    Went shopping with Michelle, her daughter and her mom
    Had pizza
    Went to bed at 9:15pm.

PS, I love the looks of the slushy Nuun, I will save that for when the warmer weather gets here thought!

8. Kari

I did the Big Sur 10.6 miler last year and it was seriously the hardest race I have ever run, BUT it was amazingly beautiful, the volunteer support was amazing, and I felt so accomplished after it was done! I say DO IT, BUT get to the front of the 10.6 start line as there are a million people who walk it and it took me a good 1.5 miles to zig zag through all of them. Also, the gear drop off was really odd, I had to run with my gear bag for a while and then throw it up to people in school buses, so be aware of that! Do it!