Under the Sea at the Monterey Bay Aquarium

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

I’m a little behind on blogging, but it’s so worth it.  We prefer to give Lu experiences for Christmas vs stuff.  Although she does get presents too.  So that’s what we’ve been up to.

After my New Year’s race, we spent the day at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  We all agreed it was awesome – we really enjoyed our time there.  This is a picture heavy post because who wants to read my dumb ole writing when you can see cool pics.  amiright?

Oh you know just hanging with some jellyfish.

2014-01-01 12.59.07

This was my favorite exhibit.

2014-01-01 12.59.20

IMG_1084

This turtle fella was pretty neat to watch swim around with his shark friends.  It blew me away how different underwater species co-exist.

2014-01-01 13.06.50

IMG_1029

Checking out a hammerhead shark up close was pretty rad too.  They swim so fast it was hard to get a clear shot.

2014-01-01 13.06.17

We got to one of the exhibits as a scuba diver swam right in front of us where he hand fed the fish + sharks.  Talk about a great experience!

IMG_1047

The sea otters were probably my second favorite.  This guy was trying to crack open a blue ball {that sounded weird} on a rock as if it were abalone.  That provided tons of entertainment for all of us!

IMG_1067

Can you spy the fish burying himself to blend in?  We watched the sand slowly cover him.  All we could see was his eye.

IMG_1043

Oh hi there.

2014-01-01 13.29.19

The penguins went nuts when Mike pulled out the camera.  They put on a show and had no problem joining in for a pic.

2014-01-01 13.29.08-2

And lastly, dad of the year for our future little blogger.  <3

IMG_1071

We had a blast, there were a lot of hands on experiences we didn’t participate in.  If you’re ever in the area, especially with little ones, the Monterey Bay Aquarium a fantastic place to visit.

Have you ever gone to an aquarium?

Do you have a favorite sea animal?

If so, what was your favorite exhibit?

Any animal/creature that freaks you out?

Snakes.

20 thoughts on “Under the Sea at the Monterey Bay Aquarium

1. Michelle

We will be in monterrey Valentines days weekend! Staying in Pacific Grove and going to the aquarium… It’s a been a few years since we’ve been so we’re due … =)

2. Leetra@RunningMyLife

Snakes! I second that! They are just so creepy… I’ve written at least 2 blog posts on how terrified I am of them and I have frequent snake nightmares!
    I love watching jelly fish too. I think they are so calming.

Aww this looks so much fun! My brother and his now wife had their wedding reception in an aquarium. It was actually really beautiful! At first I couldn’t picture it but after it was all set up it looked GREAT!

4. Rachel

I love the aquarium, I am in love with jellyfish. I use them as subjects for my paintings. :) The last time we went was with my mom and dad, their first trip, our last family trip as we lost my dad that next year. So it is really memorable place! Thanks for the wonderful pictures!

5. Laura @ twinsontherun

When I was in elementary school we took field trips to the Monterey Bay Aquarium! My guess is that they’ve added some things in the 20 years since I’ve been ;)
    I love the otters, sea turtles and penguins. If I’m in the water, the thought of ANYTHING swimming below me scares me. And if my foot or leg touches something there might be a freak out happening!
    Thx for asking about the baby…she’s a dream and I’m in love with her!

6. Mike @ 3 Cheap Runners

They recently opened a new aquarium in Toronto which I hear is the second-largest in North America to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago…my brother is taking Kennedy there for her Christmas present. Your pictures make me want to join them!

7. Carson

Because I have such a fish phobia, my husband and I took a trip to the Atlanta Aquarium a couple of years ago to “conquer my fear.” We actually had a really good time, and I am now proud to say I can go to an aquarium without having a panic attack. Baby steps.

8. Laura @ FitMamaLove

We love that aquarium! The jellyfish make for such great pictures. It’s so fun taking my son there and seeing his enthusiasm. Last time we went, I was 41 weeks pregnant with my girl and slightly concerned that my water would break at the aquarium. :)

9. Pingback: How to take beautiful pictures | Skinny Chick Blog

10. legal aid

Hi there, I found your website by means of Google even as searching for a related subject, your web site came up, it seems to be good.
    I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply was aware of your weblog via
    Google, and located that it is really informative.
    I’m going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate when you continue
    this in future. Many other folks can be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!