Side effects of a long run + juice cleanse thoughts

This week is off to a great start!

Sorry snowed in friends, this run was a sun shiny, warm one.  I was looking for the shady spots especially on the way back.  You can poke fun at me when it’s foggy + cold all summer long.  Deal?

I busted out my trusty Wave Riders and ran to Old Fisherman’s Wharf, which probably wasn’t the best idea.  I forgot it was Presidents Day so the trail was busier than usual.  But it was also cool to see everyone being active on a beautiful day.

2014-02-17 10.46.46

I was wishing I could just sit on the bench, but I know the chances of me getting up and finishing my run were slim to none so I didn’t even try it.

2014-02-17 10.43.20

I found my new mid-run water fountain.  Bonus points for it being in the shade!

2014-02-17 10.49.55

Unlike most of my runs, I knew I wanted to do a long run before I set out.  The key to running long is to start out slower than you think.  Then again, take my lame advice with a grain of sea salt since I’m no pro.

I kept a comfortable yet medium challenging pace the entire time and didn’t pay attention to my Garmin.  I was surprised to see my average pace was 8:52 which is pretty fast for me right now and makes me wonder what they would have been if I went balls out.  Hummm, anyway my splits: 8:53, 8:53, 8:59, 8:50, 8:47, 8:45.

2014-02-17 11.29.25

My hamstrings were tight so I stretched and foam rolled post run.  That is until I got cold and put on a hoodie and wrapped my paws around a hot cup of coffee.  Totally the norm around here.

Side effects from a long run are: loss of appetite for a day, my core feels tight and sore, tight hamstrings, a lot more productive like can’t stop, won’t stop status, and counting down the minutes until I get to run again.

2014-02-17 12.20.05

After lunch which I had to force down because I did not feel like eating, I got ready to grocery shop at Whole Foods.  I figured I’d fit right in with my hippie hair.  Just a couple days away from being that white girl with dreadlocks.  Yah, that would never happen, I’m too obsessive about washing my fur.

2014-02-17 13.03.32

In other news, I’ve been thinking about doing a 1 day juice cleanse.  Nothing crazy, I don’t even know if I could make it through that.  Ha!  I’ve always kinda been against them- I think whole, natural foods + high quality protein are the way to go, but a juice cleanse has also piqued my interest.  One day can’t hurt, right?

Having IBS I wonder if it would actually help “reset” the digestive system.  Has anyone done one?  I’d love your thoughts.  If you’re not for it, I’d love to hear your thoughts as well.

2014-02-17 14.43.25

Though I haven’t decided on the cleanse, I picked up this Columbia Gorge juice.  It’s really refreshing + clean if that makes any sense.  I’d totally buy it again, or better yet, make my own.  I think the ingredients are green apple, cucumber, romaine, celery & parsley.

2014-02-17 15.17.37

***Edited to add the winner of the Whole Foods gift card is Rachel!!  Congrats!!  Please send your email info to skinnychickblog @ gmail dot com.

What are your post long run side effects?

What are your long distance running tips?

23 thoughts on “Side effects of a long run + juice cleanse thoughts

1. Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)

I definitely think doing a 1 day juice cleanse would be a good break for your digestive tract, if you’re into it! I’ve done a three day fruit/juice cleanse before and I totally noticed how much less bloated I was in my lower stomach by the time I was done.

Yesterday I went out and decided to see how long this one route was around my house. I ended up doing 8.22 miles and thank god I saw my husband driving and had him pick me up or it would have probably been 9.22 miles. I was dead! Especially since I’m not a long distance runner by any means! I can barely walk today! Should be a long recovery period for me. I’m hoping to try to do some yoga tonight (if possible).

2. Maureen

I’ve thought about a 1 or 2 day juice cleanse to help my IBS as well. Right now, eating plain food has been helping, but I feel like a cleanse couldn’t hurt.

3. Laura@twinsontherun

Any type of cleanse sounds way too hard for me. A 1 day is the closest thing to do-able that I’ve heard…maybe a 1 meal juice cleanse?!
    You lose your appetite from long run….I’m just the opposite. I suddenly feel like I’ve been given license to eat the whole house down haha! Maybe you are onto something though!

4. Heather @fitncookies

I love the side effects, lol. It actually makes me feel better that I am usually never hungry on long run days, either. It takes work to find something that even sounds remotely good. The next day, however, the runger is there!

5. logan mathis @ Flatstomach101

I started to do more interval training instead of long runs now. I use to get shin splints pretty bad though. That foam roller does wonders though! I agree with you on the healthy diet thing too instead of cleansing. I don’t think one day should hurt. Tell us how it goes!!

6. Annie @ LoveLaughRun

I have IBS, and I tried the Master Cleanse a few years back. It did TERRIBLE things to my digestion. But now that I drink so much more green juice, I think it depends on what kind of cleanse you do. I recommend staying away from the Master Cleanse and trying one that incorporates a lot of different juices that hit all the major food groups (e.g. Blue Print). I do find that juice helps my IBS – it allows me to get the nutrients I need but gives my intestines a break. Hope that helps!

7. funfitgirl

nice splits! After running 8 or more miles, I eat everything in site – which is the opposite of after a race when I usually lose my appetite. Also stomach cramping, huge knots in calves and soreness in the muscle between my butt and hamstrings. oh and sometimes soreness in my inner-elbow, probably because I chicken wing hardcore. ouch.

8. Marcia

White girl dreads – ha!

I’ve done a few juice cleanses before and LOVE it every time. Bonus, the Suja juice is mighty darn tasty (and less work). I’ve done both a juice-my-own, and also buying juices,, though freshness is a factor – when you make ur own you have to drink it within a few hours so it doesn’t spoil or lose all the healthy stuff. (tip: you get a discount at whole foods when you buy six bottles :). Bottom line, juice cleanses rock – can’t wait to hear about yours!

Happy juicing :)

9. cheriarmour

Sometimes the only thing I want to do after a long run is SLEEP. I did 10 last week, and was all energized for a full day, but it felt really really good to just lay down, take a nap, and let my poor body just REST!

10. Gabriela

Ok side effects of running long runs, last week I miss calculated my run and ended up doing 10.9 miles, I thought I wasn’t gonna make it home lol but I did, I have the opposite problem I wanna eat everything !!! My main goal of course is my treat which is a bottle of soda but then I usually start looking for meat…heck I think I could eat a whole cow if I could but then I ALSO have IBS so I gotta not over do it or I get stomach pains :(. I think the juice cleanse sounds good but with my stomach problems I’m afraid my belly would over react but who knows. The only tips from me are, bring a water bottle or I carry a Camel backpack with water because it helps, I ran last week without water and I felt horrible, bring a coat if you live in the Northwest because you never know when it’s gonna rain or be super windy :p, also tape!! I like wearing tape when I go for long runs I feel like my arches hurt less and of course Foam roll :)

I agree with starting slower and easing into a long run. Also to take it one mile at a time and don’t focus on the total distance you have to go. Great job getting it in!

I have never done a juice cleanse never seemed appealing to me. Not quite sure why….. Will be interested to see what you think!

12. brightheartedly

Ah! I just did a three day fruit cleanse (not juice). Hardest thing I have done diet wise to date – mainly because I love my sweets. The cleanse involved not only traditional fruits but also avocado, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers – essentially anything with seeds! I felt a lot fuller than I thought I would and was able to continue all my yoga activities. It was definitely empowering and I felt like I had more energy. If you want more info let me know! If you are back in the bay area – come do Yoga with us over at Select :) Love stalking your life through your blog/instagram. – Jackie

13. Stephanie

Achy lower butt and inner thighs just now feeling better after a Saturday AM 12.5 miler on icy rutted trails. I notice my feet hurt on shorter faster runs and it is all about butt and thighs (and sometimes shoulders)on the LSDs.

14. Laura @losingrace

I really have to force myself to eat after long runs, because the hunger doesn’t kick in right away. Problem with this is, the most important time to refuel after a run/workout is in the first 30 minutes and it usually takes me hours to get there. So I typically force myself to at least eat SOMETHING (usually protein and carby) and then allow myself to wait a few hours until I am hungry. After long runs I also zone out- my fiance was the one who pointed this out to me. The longer the run the more I stare into space after.

Congrats on the great 6 miler though, I think your consistency in running is really paying off!

15. Melanie

I have done a juice cleanse after a weekend of really bad eating/holiday/bachelorette stuff. It aint easy! But one day wouldn’t be too bad just make sure you have something to keep you busy but not necessarily exerting a lot of entergy. Otherwise all you will think about is food even if you arent hungry. I wouldn’t do it for an extended amount of time, but one day doesnt sounds too bad!