Counting down the minutes to my next run + scents that remind me of being a kid

I might be the only one who is brave enough to say this, but I love the time change.  The sun is out longer which makes this solar powered grandma seem like a party animal plus I feel so much more productive.  Of course I don’t have kiddos or a real job, but I’m sure the change makes a big difference for folks who do.

Anyway, I was counting down the minutes until I got to run again.  I explore areas I normally wouldn’t while running, so I hit up a new trail.

2014-03-10 11.36.32

It was one of those I iffin LOVE running days.  It wasn’t easy, but it was so nice to be doing what I love while catching some fresh, salty ocean air and cat calls from bums.  Plus I almost got ran over while running in a crosswalk.  Reminded me of the good ole Bay Area days, ha!

2014-03-10 11.41.09

2014-03-10 11.39.52

I never regret trading grass for succulents, but I do miss it a lot.  So I stopped to take it all in for a bit.  Fresh cut grass is one of my favorite scents ever.  It reminds me of being a kid, playing outside while my dad mowed the lawn.  I was that kid who didn’t care how hot or cold it was, I had to be outside all the time, and most of the time barefoot.

2014-03-10 11.46.03

2014-03-10 11.45.58

The two things I wanted when I got home were an ice cold lemon lime Nuun – it was a warm run, and to kick my feet up.

2014-03-10 12.15.37

So I kicked my feet up on the wall for a couple minutes and it felt SO good.

2014-03-10 12.13.53

What is it about running that makes me not want to stop moving the rest of the day?  I got so much accomplished, but I had to force myself to stop because the last time I kept going, I jacked up my paws.  That stuff can wait another day anyway.

So I came up with the awesome idea to get a pedi.  Sometimes I make great life decisions.  Sometimes.

2014-03-10 17.59.16

A couple blog updates:

• My super awesome web wizard added an email subscription button on the sidebar.  So if you’re not sick of me, add your info + get every post in your inbox.
  • He also made it easier to sign in to comment.  You can now use your social media accounts.  Boom!

Time change: love it, hate it, doesn’t apply to you?

What scents remind you of being a kid?

Do you find that you’re more productive post workout?

Yes, but not after a half marathon.  It blows my mind when I see runners finish a half or full and walk around the rest of the day.  Y’all are rock stars.  All I want to do is drink coffee, take a shower and sit my lazy butt on the couch with a salt lick.

25 thoughts on “Counting down the minutes to my next run + scents that remind me of being a kid

1. funfitgirl

oh my gosh fresh cut grass and dandelions scream childhood to me!! That and country time lemonade (which I know isn’t really a scent, but it came to mind).

I function best throughout the day if I get my morning miles in…I am a much more pleasant person to be around in general if I run in the morning. I’m with you about after a half though – after my last one I laid on my floor for hours and had Jonah bring me food and drinks. lazy bones!!

I LOVE the time change! I wish we didn’t ever go back. I love having an extra hour of day light in my day. I always seem to be more productive when it light outside so I won’t complain :)

There is nothing better than an I love running day! Hope you have many more of those this week :)

3. Brianna @ I run He tris

Someone had just cut their grass the other day when I was out for a run, and I LOVED it! i also love the smell of rain on hot pavement… kinda weird but reminds me of summers storms. A good workout always gives me more energy! I love that it is still light in the evenings but we’ve had a rough couple of days getting our 13 month old’s sleep adjusted.

4. Kelsey M.

You crack me up!! Salt lick….great suggestion. I needed that after my 10k on Saturday!! I can finally walk down some stairs without hating everything! Yay!

5. Courteney

I really do think we might have been separated at birth. I love the time change…the light in the evening is a blessing when you work all day. I cannot wait to smell the first cut of grass in the spring! I used to do my gymnastics routines on the front lawn and freshly cut was the best!!!

6. fitnessmeetsfrosting

I love the time change because I can run after work without chasing the sunset/running from murderers. Not dramatic at all. BUT I hate the time change just for right now because my body still hasn’t adjusted. A smell I’m obsessed with is fresh laundry/laundry detergent. I used to love hopping into the laundry basket after my mom would take it out of the dryer all nice and hot. And then I’d get in trouble for wrinkling everything haha.

1. Jacqueline Post author

Murders lol and I’m only laughing because sadly, it’s kinda true. We have bums that hide in bushes along the trail and I’m always thinking one is going to jump out at me some day and go all ninja bum on me.
      I loved (still do) fresh laundry. I used to wrap myself up in warm towels right out of the dryer in the winter time. Wouldn’t it be cool if someone invented a clothes warmer for closets? Okay so now I just sound like a weirdo.

7. kmlrunner

I enjoy the “Spring Forward” as it means Summer is just around the corner and I always like the “fall back” since we get an extra hour………I mean who doesn’t need an extra hour in their day??????
    Coppertone Suntan lotions SCREAMS childhood to me. I still LOVE that smell. Uber productive post workout I’m all on my workout high buzzing around like a bee :)

8. Gabriela

it takes me time to get used to the time change like for example the kids were almost late to school because i got up late to make lunches, i have been yawning since yesterday non stop and feel sleepy BUT it’s been 2 days in a row that we get sunshine and that it’s actually warm so i have been running outside happy not having to wear a coat :p.
    i don’t have any scents from childhood but i am always looking forward to ice cream or slurpees :p

9. Natalie @ Twenty-Something Talk

I LOVE the time change in the evening, but I HATE it in the morning. I love feeling like I have so much more time after work to accomplish things, but that always results in me staying up wayyyy too late and kicking myself in the morning. Oh well! I’ll have time to rest when Fall Back comes around! :)

My weird smell of my childhood is actually the smell of gun cleaner. My dad is a police officer, and every Sunday afternoon he would take out his guns and clean them, so if I ever smell that (kinda sorta rare) it takes me back!

10. Kelly M

I love the time change too!! I’ve been excited for it all week!! Even losing an hour of sleep before work is a fair trade off for more sunlight!! I’m definitely more productive and happy following a race up to and including a 10K. After my half marathon I limped around in compression socks and tried to gain sympathy. :) scents that remind me of childhood….that really coconutty smelling sun tan lotion which sadly I can no longer find :(, and CK one perfume…my go to fragrance in middle school lol