There are not enough minutes to spend with you

I’ve been missing my little grandma a lot, so I drove home to see her.  She cooked all of our family favorites, fried potatoes, steamed turnip + beet greens, beans, bacon, baked pork chops + corn bread.  Yah, she loves me that much.

2014-03-14 12.15.05

My sister brought my nieces over to hang out and ma came over on her lunch break.  It felt so nice to be home, even if I spent more time driving than hanging out.

My niece, Blair bear had the cutest pair of Toms on and I told her I wanted to wear them.  She kicked them off at my feet and said go ahead.  I told her I had to cut the back of them off so they would fit and she looked at me, shook her fingers and said “not uh girlfriend.”

Well okay there little miss sassy pants. Smile

There’s no place like grandmas house.

2014-03-14 14.07.21

After lunch, we walked around the backyard and toured her spring garden.  She’s had a seasonal garden for as long as I can remember.

Over here, she has tomatoes + uncle Charlie planed watermelon, but hasn’t sprouted yet.  Nothing beats homegrown maters.

2014-03-14 14.03.57

Eggplants + peppers.

2014-03-14 14.04.47

Onions.

2014-03-14 14.45.37

Turnip greens + beets grown from seeds she saved from last years garden.  Also steamed at lunch with bacon!

2014-03-14 14.05.55

Grandma was organic back when it wasn’t the cool thing to do, and she still is.

Then we went back inside, sat at the kitchen table and talked for hours.  I love her simple life advise:

“When you help someone out, you will be blessed for it.“ – SCB’s grandma

She made me laugh when she said “I don’t know what no b something ee means either.”  It took me a bit, but I figured out she was referring to burpees from the other days post.  We had a good laugh over it.

Then she jumped up and went to her bedroom.  I could hear her rummaging through something, then she came out with a box with The Virginian DVD’s.  It’s her very favorite show and Mike sent a season here + there until now she has the whole collection.

2014-03-14 15.00.47

She pulled them out one by one and told me all about them.  I think grandma has a crush on Trampas.Winking smile

I always leave grandmas with a full heart, feeling even more thankful for the simple things and a tear in my eye.

There are not enough minutes to spend with you. <3

2014-03-14 16.08.52-1

Tell me wise words from your grandparents.

Tell me a funny story about grandparents.

11 thoughts on “There are not enough minutes to spend with you

1. Mary Ann

When I was telling my grandma about this cute guy I was dating (and since married), she could tell that I was pretty serious about him. She patiently listened and when I was done, she simply asked me, “but will you want to cook him breakfast?”

2. kmlrunner

I so wish I could have a garden. I love home grown ANYTHING!!!!!!!
    When I was little we used to always play “restaurant” at my Grandparents house. My sister and I were the waitresses and they were the customers. My grandma used to always order “A Brain Sandwich and a High Ball”. It would gross my sister and I out so much. She would do it EVERY TIME!!!!!!!! Granny!!!! :)

3. Gabriela

Aww :) you got an awesome grandma.
    I was raised by my grandparents and there’s times when I could just cry because I miss them so much, my grandpa would ALWAYS spoiled me while my grandma would just yell at me, it was very hard for me when they passed because I was 13 and grandpa died that same year as my grandma….. ANYWAYS my grandma used to say something in spanish like this ” never trust ANYONE with your secrets” and something like people will sometimes judge you by the type of friends you hang around with.

4. Bernadette@http://mommaberna.blogspot.com/

This made me miss my grandparents so much. I was the apple of my granpa’s eyes and he spoiled me rotten. He was a clean freak, a great cook and a genuinely nice person. One thing the taught me was that food was meant to be shared. He also taught me that food is to be cooked with love and care.

5. Amanda - RunToTheFinish

you officially made me miss my family!!! Moving states away was harder than I anticipated. I think because I’m an only child, I worry about not seeing them and I simply miss those moments. Good for you taking the time to enjoy what you have!!

6. Sonia Orban-Price (@themexigarian)

I never knew my paternal grandparents, and my maternal grandmother passed away last May. I wish I got to see her more when she was healthy instead of always being “too busy” with “my things”. :( We see my grandparentinlaws maybe 4-5 times a year as they live up in Sac City area. They come down for events and we got up for certain holidays. I love them dearly, but I madly miss mi abuelitos y tia.

I love how your grandma gardens! I’m working on mine again now too :) And my mother LOVES watching the Virginian. Heck, she was watching High Chaparral just this morning when I stopped by. I would have stayed to watch with her, but you know, work.

7. Kelly M

My grandma used to pay us $5 to listen to her life advice when we were little kids lol. She passed away about 15 years ago….but I’d pay her to give me life advice now. I miss her a lot. :(

8. fitnessmeetsfrosting

Love how much you love your grandma. You 2 are the cutest things! Lol when I was little, my grandpa used to sing “I’m gonna sit right down and write myself a letter” to me. For some reason I thought he made the song up. I was listening to a Frank Sinatra Pandora station in college and this song came on. I started cracking up because it was then that I realized my grandpa did not make up that song…

9. Pingback: Happy Easter + up to no good | Skinny Chick Blog