FAI surgery

Good morning!! Thank you all so much for the prayers, positive vibes and well wishes from the bottom of my heart, thank you again.

I am feeling better than I expected, up walking around errr doing the grandma shuffle but still happy to be moving around. I’ll talk more about day 1 tomorrow, for now let’s back up to surgery, shall we…

Pre Op

Going in it was so anxious about the unknown. Like shaking scared, how am I going to feel post surgery, how will the drive home go, thinking the worst, etc. It’s very difficult to quiet the Type A in me and just roll with life sometimes.

The day before and morning leading up to surgery were a couple meltdowns and as Mike said in his post yesterday, half hearted attempts to back out. But I knew I had to do this so I grabbed that bull by the horns and got it done.

2014-12-17 10.59.09

We got to San Francisco an hour early, luckily they had a private room for us to hang out in and watch Netflix before all the pre op stuff. We were in there long enough to watch Bad Santa and the beginning of Scrooged. Don’t pretend to be shocked Mike picked one with BFM. ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

We got a chance to meet the staff and drill the “Jacqueline does not want to feel sick or puke ever” into everyone we met. Yes, I was that person but I wanted to avoid my biggest fear at all costs. I do realize it is a dumb, irrational fear but hey, it is what it is.

Then the surgeon + anesthesiologist came in. They both put my mind at ease. Especially the anesthesiologist. He explained that general anesthesia only causes nausea + vomiting about 10% of the time. It’s the narcotics given in the recovery room that cause most of the sickness. He explained that on a pain scale from 1-10 (10 is the highest) I should be about a 5-6 when I wake up. If that were the case my best bet was to not accept any meds, try to grin + bear it until I got home, which was a 3 hour drive. Sounds like a plan Stan.

So I made my ninja nurse, Tess promise to keep the narcotics locked up and she happily agreed.

Note from Mike, Jacqueline asked me to proof read this, and, I want to put the ninja nurse in context. You see, we had met with Tess before Jacqueline went to surgery and explained the plan for Jacqueline’s fear of yacking. After surgery Jacqueline was just as loopy as can be and couldn’t remember Tess’s name but because she’s Asian, Jacqueline called her a ninja. Tess and I looked at each other and just busted out laughing.


Then it was time to walk me back to the OR. On the way back I asked everyone “are you coming to the party?” along the way. Most of them happily said yes! Some didn’t know what to say, ha! They got me situated on the table & asked what kind of music I liked. I told them Christmas + Frank Sinatra. So they blasted Christmas music while doing the prep. Everyone was in such a good mood which again, put me at ease. I cracked a couple jokes as I usually do when feeling nervous and they said I was one of the most positive people they have ever had in the OR. I find that funny because I was scared as hell.

Then the anesthesiologist came in and started working behind me. He said here’s your antibiotics as I watched it go into the IV. Then I told him I was really anxious. He said heck yeah you are, check out that heart rate, (which was really loud on the monitor) then he said, this juice will help and within seconds I felt so much calmer. Then I told him I was ready for a nap. He laughed and that was the last I remember being in there.

Post Op

Mike said I was in surgery for about 2 hours and it was ‘text book perfect’ and recovery for an hour. I guess it took me a little longer to wake up. The anesthesiologist + surgeon yelled at me to wake up and I’m told I yelled back something like I’m sleeping, leave me alone. Oh and I asked for water approximately 10,000 times. Don’t remember any of this at all.

Post op/still coming out of anesthesia goofy smile.

2014-12-17 16.42.14

If you saw yesterdays post, then you already know what happened next via Mike.

The drive home sucked. We left the City in the middle of rush hour traffic and it was raining. Not a good mix. I was still anxious and tried to sleep most of the way. Bringing a blanket + pillow was such a great life decision because I don’t know how I would have made it home without them.

I tried to choke down some pretzels and an orange from grandmas tree to take half of an percocet they gave me and went to bed. Have you ever tried to eat pretzels with a dry mouth? It was like salty sawdust. Appetizing, uh?

I had zero stomach issues and can not tell you how stoked I am about that!! I will share day 1 post op tomorrow but for now I’m just going to chill out with my boys on the couch.

Wait, are y’all actually interested in these update kinda posts? If not, I can share other dumb stuff like Bam taking selfies…



I hope y’all are having a fantastic week and are feeling the Christmas spirit. ๐Ÿ™‚



9 Comments on “FAI surgery

  1. Glad to hear you are doing so well! I am with you on the yakking thing, or lack of it. I had my gallbladder out about 10+ years ago and I repeatedly told them, I better not get sick when I wake up, because I always throw up after anesthesia and after having my stomach operated on, that will not be a good thing. I was told they can add some anti-nausea medicine to the anesthesia and it should help. It did the trick, I did not get sick. Woohoo!! That is the worst. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

    • Wahoo!! I am so happy it worked for you too!
      They gave me anti nausea meds through IV before surgery too. I also had a prescription for some on hand just in case, but only used it when taking the percoset as a precaution. Worked like a charm.

  2. So glad you are doing okay….’yacking’ was my biggest fear in both of my surgeries as well…thankfully it didn’t happen to me either!!! Keep us posted girl!

  3. Glad you are doing well. I totally get being Type A and wanting it to go your way. ๐Ÿ™‚

  4. Glad you weren’t sick – that is the worst!!!
    Hope that the pain has been manageable the past couple of days!!!

  5. Hello
    I loved reading your blog about your FAI surgery. I was so glad to read that you tossed your crutches 2nd day and we’re doing PT right away. I also understand you had the best surgeon in the biz. I too had one of the top surgeons in this field. I got my self in a little trouble though. I tossed my cane the second day and was doing the grandpa shuffle. Ha. also I returned to work one week post op. I’m a hairstylist. So it’s kind of hard on the hip. I’ve been really worried that I’ve screwed up the work the surgeon did. He assured me I haven’t. I’m 29 days post op and I’m like , hey how come my hip hurts if if I push my knee inward?! Or hey how come my hip feels stiff after I’ve sat for a few hours. I think oh my god this is always going to be like this. Kind of silly I know. I guess my hip was in really bad shape. Lots of damage. The doctor said that because I’m always on my feet that I will take a little longer to heal. I am getting the other hip done in a few weeks. I’m 44 and would like to get this out of the way now. I would not say that I have pain just the occasional reminder if I move to fast or if I’ve been sitting to long. I was wondering how long was it before you had absolutely no tenderness or soreness related to the surgery? Anyway response would be great. Your blog has been the most reassuring of anything I’ve read so far. There are some awful FAI blogs out there. People talking about being on crutches for 6 weeks. And I’m like uh oh. I’m already at work after one. What am I doing?!? Haha.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *